Union disappoints with more cancellations

Oxford Union members have been disappointed this week by the news that the location of the ‘Garden of Eden’ Ball has been changed from Ardington House to Oxford Union and the cancellation of the long-awaited speaker Anna Kournikova.

Oxford Union’s Trinity term ball is traditionally hosted in an out of Frenwin court location. However, this year’s event will be held in the Union premises.

The reason for the cancellation of the Ardington House hire is the sudden price increase.

Laura Winwood, Oxford Union’s secretary, has verbally agreed the price of the location. However, the manager of the House has been out of contact for several weeks. He then proceeded to demand an additional £12 per head for corkage, £5000 in total, to the costs which had already been agreed.

The Union’s press spokesperson commented that “this made it no longer cost-effective to host the ball there”.

In light of the change of venue, the price of Ball tickets has been lowered by £10, so members will now pay £39.

Corey Dixon, Union President, remains positive about the event, congratulating the Secretary on her hard work, and commenting that the changes should not reflect badly on “her or the union as a whole”. He added that the ball would be “the best value on the market”, and should particularly appeal to those unable to afford the more expensive college balls.

One Union member commented, “This is an utter disgrace. I was looking forward to spending a lovely evening in an Oxfordshire country home.”

However, in general the reaction to the news has been sympathetic, with a St John’s first year adding that while the Union seemed to be doing a good job, “It is clear they should have signed a contract before advertising the Ball.”

The manager of Ardington House was unavailable for comment.

It was also revealed this week that Anna Kournikova will no longer be speaking due to budgetary restrictions.

Although it was understood that all costs had been settled, it was not known that Kournikova’s expenses would include two assistants, who would also require international flights, accommodation in a five star hotel and car transportation.

Dixon commented, “The latest estimate of the costs of her visit to the Union,
including flights and accommodation, was in excess of £2,500, and we felt
that it would be fiscally irresponsible to spend this amount on a single
event.”

The total trinity term budget for individual speakers is £3,800. Excluding Kournikova, there are 22 individual speakers listed in the term card. According to Sonia Krylova, Union’s press officer the average expenditure per speaker is £600. With £1400 spent on Martin Sheen’s flights from the US alone, Union’s budget is already more than stretched.

Most students have agreed that in the end the Union made the right decision.

One Univ student commented, “Kournikova’s requests were pretty unreasonable, I think the Union were justified in cancelling the event.”

However, there are worries whether Union’s financial woes will not lead to further cancellation of events.

The Union has also been criticised this week for its links with a controversial company specialising in “fiscal engineering”. The Oakfield Group, who have sponsored pre-debate drinks, is registered in the Isle of Man and offers a “boutique service” to clients to “reduce tax liability”.

The Union defended its decision to accept the sponsorship, commenting, “The Union does not accept membership from any of the companies blacklisted by OUSU, such as BAE systems.”