Disabled Romanian orphan wins place at Oxford

A Romanian orphan born with no arms has won a place at Oxford.
When Cornel Hrisca-Munn was born, doctors gave him only days to live. Now, 18 years on, he has been offered a place at Keble College to read Theology & Philosophy.

Cornel’s acceptance at Oxford was an early birthday present for the 18-year-old, who received his letter the day before he came of age. He said: “It’s such a shock, I really can’t believe it, but I’m so excited.”

A spokesperson from the university commented, “We have had many students with disabilities who overcome many odds to study here. We are delighted to be able to offer Cornel a place at the university and believe he will be an asset to us.”

Born to Romanian parents in 1991, Cornel was placed in an orphanage where, aged 9 months, he was found by aid workers Ken and Doreen Munn. The couple fell in love with the baby boy who was born with no arms below the elbow, and one leg severely deformed.

They brought him to England for treatment, where he had his leg amputated and was fitted with artificial limbs. He was officially adopted in 1994 with the permission of his birth parents.

Cornel’s mother, Doreen, commented, “For Cornel to get into Oxford is such an achievement. I’m so proud of him.

‘’To come from Romania and overcome the mountain of struggles he’s been through, this is just fantastic.”

The university confirmed that he would not be the first student with congenital amputation to matriculate.

In 2008, Oxford was recorded as being home to 1,013 students classified as disabled, two-thirds of these being undergraduates. Success rates for disabled applicants compared to other applicants were actually higher in 2006 and 2007. However, it is still unusual for students with mobility difficulties like Cornel to be admitted. Only 56 such students currently study at the university. Oxford does endeavour to provide disabled students with as much help as possible, including voice recognition technology in the exam schools.

In 2005, The Cornel Trust was set up with the aim of funding a clinic in Romania for those born without limbs.

Cornel has visited his country of origin several times since to explore how to help others who have not been “blessed with the same opportunities” as him.
He hopes to continue working for charities when he has finished his degree.
Cornel is working towards 4 A levels – in sociology

, philosophy, English language and critical thinking – and is predicted 4 A stars.

While not studying or raising money for charity, Cornel is involved in music. He plays both drums and bass and is part of the band The City Walls who played their first gig in 2008.