Mephedrone: Oxford student drug use revealed

Mephedrone, recently labelled in the national press as the “UK’s new favourite drug”, is widely taken by Oxford students who thave little idea of the associated side effects and health risks.

A Cherwell investigation this week has shown that students at the University are not only use the drug recreationally, but also as a study aid.

They investigation also found that student-users are ignorant of forthcoming changes in its legal status, with many students incorrectly believing the drug will be banned imminently.

Mephedrone, also known as M-Kat, is widely available online. However, the compound is illegal to sell for human consumption, so the websites which sell it market the drug as a plant fertiliser. The substance costs around £10 for a gram, with discounts available for bulk orders, making mephedrone less than a quarter of the street price of cocaine.

Students report the drug as causing a feeling of euphoria, increased self-confidence and conversational ability and, in some cases, sexual arousal. They also said that the drug helped them to stay awake and “lively” when going out.

One leading Oxford pharmacologist, who asked to remain anonymous due to the sensitive nature of the issue, warned of the dangers of potential overdose on the drug.

Many students use mephedrone because of its easy access and immediate effects. “It’s not as strong as cocaine or ecstasy,” said one undergraduate, “and it’s obviously much easier to get hold of. I

know there must be risks about taking it, but not as much as others. It’s more of a sweetie-drug for me.”

“It’s the smart person’s drug of choice, you take it, don’t drink, have a bit of a buzz, and then wake up feeling fine,” said another. “It’s legal which makes it seem a bit less bad, even though obviously it’s not legal for what we do with it…”

The Home Office has confirmed to Cherwell that mephedrone is only legal when sold for purposes other than human consumption.

One surprising finding of the survey was that a minority of students are taking the drug as a study aid, a use not reported on until now.

“I had the idea for using it for an essay crisis because it kept me up all night at a club, and I didn’t feel bad in the morning,” said a student. “I only took only took a little bit in comparison to what I’d do on a night out, and it gave me a slight mood elevation – which you definitely don’t get from coffee.”

“I’ve only done it once or twice as a last ditch resort,” he said, “‘because it’s quite a precarious solution”.

Many emphasised the fact that the drug can be delivered to your door by post as an advantage. “You can buy it easily online – no lurking about on dark corners or cryptic text messages – you can buy it during labs!”

“There’s something rather delicious about the postman handing over your fix by special delivery,” claimed one modern languages undergraduate.

But one leading pharmacologist, who has led research into recreational drugs, told Cherwell that “with Mephedrone you’re taking an unknown dose, and one of the dangers with this is that someone will overdose.”

When asked what he would tell students using the drug, he said, “don’t assume that just because it’s legal it’s safe”.

He quoted a public health report which listed the possible negative side effects of use as “uncomfortable changes in body temperature (sweating and chills), heart palpitations, impaired short term memory, insomnia, tightened jaw muscles, grinding teeth, muscle twitching, dizziness, light headedness, vertigo,” as well as pain and swelling in the nose and throat if the substance is snorted.

The specialist also reported that, chemically, the substance is an amphetamine like controlled drugs such as Speed.

“You’d say that it’s in the category of amphetamines,” he said.

Students spoken to by Cherwell also had little idea about if or when the drug was due to be reclassified by the government, with most believing that a new legal status would be set at the end of this or next month.

A rumour of an imminent change in the legal status prompted a spike in sales as users ‘stockpiled’ earlier in the year.

But a Home Office spokesperson confirmed that the Advisory Council for the Misuse of Drugs (ACMD) to the government was not due to report their findings into Mephedrone until the spring. The government would then take time to reclassify the drug, meaning that it may remain widely available for the rest of the academic year.

The spokesperson said that the Council were reviewing the drug as an urgent priority. A source within the ACMD confirmed that “[Mephedrone] is one of our most pressing concerns. We are also investigating use of anabolic steroid for cosmetic reasons.”

And despite the drug’s currently uncontrolled status, Oxford University proctors have now said that any student found abusing the substance is liable to be disciplined.
“It is an offence…for any member of the University to engage in action which is likely to cause injury or to impair safety. Even if a substance is legal, supplying it to others in the knowledge of documented adverse side-effects could fall under the above,” said a representative for the university.

“We would strongly advise students against the practise [sic] of taking any substance that could cause potential risks to their health,” they said.

All students spoken to as part of the investigation asked to remain anonymous.

See Cherwell’s editorial on drug use in Oxford: http://www.cherwell.org/content/9586