Interview: Brendan Cole

A few years ago, who would have thought we’d be able to recognise someone by the moniker ‘the bad boy of ballroom’? But in the last few years, dancing has become part of the national consciousness, with Strictly Come Dancing, Got to Dance and So You Think You Can Dance becoming prime-time Saturday night ratings-winners.

Strictly Come Dancing debuted on BBC One in 2004 and has become one of the most popular formats on British television. 11.3 million viewers tuning in to watch this year’s final when BBC Sport presenter Chris Hollins beat Hollyoaks heartthrob Ricky Whittle.

The bad boy himself, Brendan Cole has been part of the Strictly rollercoaster since the first season, when he gained headlines as well as points from the judging panel. Rumours of an affair with his partner, newsreader Natasha Kaplinsky, coupled with a split from his professional partner and fiancée Camilla Dallerup, as well as his penchant for bending the rules of the competition itself turned Cole into a celebrity figure virtually overnight. Linked to a series of glamorous women, he became a regular in the tabloids for his fiery temper and his behaviour on and off-screen.

But now, Cole is settled down and planning his wedding to British model Zoe Hobbs and seems to have cooled off considerably. During our interview, he is charming (natch), unassuming and enthusiastic about his first live UK tour, Brendan Cole – Live and Unjudged. He doesn’t shout at me or walk out (although admittedly, I don’t criticise his dancing). In fact, he thinks his TV persona is something of a cartoon version of himself and is looking forward to showing his audiences the real Brendan.

“On Strictly you don’t get the chance to show your true personality. They portray you how they want to portray you. With the show I’m doing now, I’m talking to the audience as well as dancing. It’s a nice way to say hello, interact and show your true side.”

Celebrity status took Cole somewhat by surprise. How did he cope with his sudden move into the public eye?

“It was unexpected I suppose. Back in the early days you don’t see it coming, but when it did come it was exciting, you know. The only downside is that everything becomes public not personal, if you have a relationship break-up, it’s up for public scrutiny. But that’s the only downside; it’s a lovely thing to be recognised for all the hard work you’ve put in throughout the years.”

And it was a lot of hard work. Cole worked as a builder to support himself through dance training in South London during the early days, “Without all that, it wouldn’t be the same. I know how hard I’ve worked to get here, so it’s almost like a reward for years and years of hard work, and it’s paid off and I can appreciate it a little bit more than if it was handed to me on a platter.”

Of course, in the last few years, ballroom and Latin dancing has gained cult status, thanks to TV series like Strictly. Dance classes have never been more popular and here in Oxford, the Oxford University Dancesport Club is the most popular sporting society in the University, with over 1000 members. But growing up as a boy dancing in 1980s New Zealand can’t have been the easiest start in life for Cole.

“What are you trying to say about dancing, hey? No, growing up, dancing probably wasn’t the most intelligent thing to do, not the best thing to do when you’re a child because you get a lot of stick, but I think it’s the stuff that makes you stronger. The teasing from the other kids was what drove me to become very good at it. If someone tells me not to do something, then I do it.”

And Cole has no doubts that he would introduce his own children to dancing.
“I would definitely introduce them. By dancing, you learn so much more than just the dance skills: you learn people skills, how to interact with others; it teaches you posture, how to stand, confidence – all the things that are useful when you’re growing up. I think it’s a great thing to do. I think it’s important that the kid has the choice, and then they can like it or hate it, whatever.”

Strictly has formed a massive part of Cole’s professional life. For the past six years he has been one of the most memorable faces of the show, always engaged in some controversy or other with a succession of glamorous partners, including models Lisa Snowdon and Kelly Brook. But who would his ideal partner be, if he could choose anyone in the world?

“Kate Hudson. I just watched the movie Nine and she was wicked. Or Kate Beckinsale.” So Mr Cole fancies doing a foxtrot with an Oxford alumnus – ladies, there might still be hope! Even if not all of us have starred in a string of Hollywood hits…

The tour, which Cole is producing and starring in at the moment has been the culmination of months of hard work, but with his usual enthusiasm, possibly bordering on the workaholic, he is revelling in the challenge.

“It’s the biggest thing I’ve ever done. It’s been hours and hours and hours of hard work in the months leading up to it. It’s been sitting down with my musical director, sorting out the dresses, casting it in the first place – so much has gone into producing the show and I have done it all. But it came together and it’s by far the best thing ever I’ve done. When you see people walking out with smiles on their faces, absolutely loving it, it all becomes worth it, it’s the best feeling in the world.”

And Cole is loving the fact that he has his own show, no mean feat for a dancer.

“When you’re on Strictly you’re just a small part of a big production. With this, it’s my production, you’re on the road with a tour bus of people who are following you round, looking to you to deliver them a good show. It’s a massive massive thing and really exciting. It’s one of the most exciting feelings standing backstage and hearing them announce: ‘Brendan Cole – Live and Unjudged’ and thinking: oh my God, this is my show.”

As he’s been working so hard, what does he plan to do when the tour finishes this week?

“I haven’t thought about it! Going on holiday, planning my wedding and then doing the tour again in four months! And then Strictly starts again – it’s all very intense! I’m very much enjoying working, but I am looking forward to the holiday now. The last few months have just been all day, every day!”

To book tickets for his summer tour, visit www.brendancole.com/live_and_unjudged.php