Scenic View: Malaysia

The Republic of Malaysia likes to brand itself as “Truly Asia”, a veritable smorgasbord of different cosmopolitan cultures and communities mixing together in coherent unity. To my surprise, the country seems to live up to its slick branding. From the orchestrated chaos of capital city Kuala Lumpur, to the peaceful northern Cameron Highlands, to the sand-swept beaches of biologically rich Borneo, the country offers an absorbing plethora of different opportunities to the average (and cash-strapped) nature enthusiast or culture junkie. On a week-long break from a brief research project in Singapore, I was eager to sample all that this mysterious country had to offer.

Given my proclivity for natural areas and innate tendency towards avoiding clogged urban sprawls, I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the clean metropolis of Kuala Lumpur. Whether it was a visit to one of the many parks dotted around the city, a ride on the embarrassingly fun indoor roller coaster at the sprawling Times Square shopping centre, or a tour of the famous Petronas Towers, there is no shortage of interesting activities within the city limits. In addition, the nearby National Zoo offers the opportunity to see some of Malaysia’s endangered biodiversity up close, including the mythical Malayan tiger and the quirky Malayan tapir.

However, the most striking feature of all is the food. Anywhere one travels in Malaysia, the incredible variety of different food-stuffs will be on full display. In particular, the region south of Kuala Lumpur provides some of the most amazing dishes on the planet. Spice aficionados will crave the aromatic blending of different flavours in the various Malay dishes, while those who seek fare from neighboring ASEAN countries will not be disappointed by the selection. As an added bonus, food is often made from scratch, with wholesome, unprocessed ingredients. What more could a perpetually starving twenty-something ask for?

Malaysia is a cool country. It still lags far behind the proximate prosperous island of Singapore in terms of purchasing power and GDP, and is justifiably considered a newly industrializing country. It brims with potential, offering universal health care, flexible capital markets, and a relatively stable political situation. I enjoyed my time here and look forward to returning soon.