Town calls for sports access

Oxford City Council is asking Oxford and Oxford Brookes Universities to increase local residents’ access to their sporting facilities.

An Independent Working Class Association motion asking the universities to explore ways of increasing community access was carried at an Oxford City Council meeting on 24th January.

The motion stated, “The current economic crisis is likely to have an adverse impact on the availability of affordable sports, recreational and educational facilities to Oxford residents – especially those from working class backgrounds.”

“A lot of our children will never get to go to these universities,” said Stuart Craft, the Independent Working Class Association councillor for Northfield Brook.

“A mark of an institution’s commitment to social justice isn’t sending a few students to do a bit of charity work; it’s opening up their resources to locals.

“What’s more, students don’t pay council tax fees – we do.”

Jim Campbell, the Liberal Democrat councillor for St. Margaret’s, seconded Craft’s motion. 

He stated, “In these hard times, we wanted to encourage the authorities at both the university and the college level to extend the access they already offer.  

“I think it’s important to remember that there are a number of organisations, such as KEEN (Kids Enjoy Exercise Now), doing brilliant work for Oxford residents.”

KEEN is a charity run by Oxford and Brookes students along with other young people which provides sporting and recreational activities for children and young adults with special needs in Oxfordshire.

Many of the universities’ facilities, such as Oxford’s swimming pool and gym at Iffley Road, are already fully available for community use.

“The University maintains an excellent relationship with the local school sports coordinator, with whom we host many community sports events for children throughout the year,” said a spokesperson for Oxford University. 

According to a statement issued by the University, local students and residents should benefit from the planned redevelopment and expansion of the Iffley Road stadium and sports centre. Some University sports clubs may even become open for community members to join.

Oxford Brookes allows Oxford community members to join their gym and use their sports facilities, but charges locals higher fees than students.

Craft and the city councillors also hope that facilities such as boathouses, which are owned by individual colleges, could be made available to the public.

Jake Lancaster, who rows for Keble, disagrees. “The boats fall into disrepair often enough with just students using them,” he said.

“If sports teams and clubs would like to hire college facilities when students and members are not using them, they should contact the college sports clubs directly and some arrangement may well be possible,” an Oxford University spokesperson, told the Oxford Mail.