OUSU move over

OUSU President David Barclay has told Cherwell that the Student Union’s new premises are a “far more professional set up”.

Now located at 2 Worcester Street, the new offices provide disabled access and improved meeting spaces for OUSU’s groups and campaigns.

The move was carried out over two weeks during the vacation, and was funded through a one-off payment from the university.
According to Barclay, the new offices will be “substantially cheaper” to run than the old ones in Thomas Hull House on Bonn Square.
Figures obtained by Cherwell last year found that the rent for the Bonn Square site accounted for 30% of OUSU’s annual budget.
Barclay stressed that money saved will go towards funding “essential” student activities.
“The move has also saved OUSU and the University money at a time of great financial uncertainty”, he added.

“Not only were the old premises in a pretty poor state of repair and poorly serviced, but the disabled access to the building was not befitting a 21st century Student Union”, Barclay said.
OUSU are still working to inform students across the university about the move.
Despite adverts and notifications distributed by OUSU over the past month, not all students are aware that the Student’s Union has relocated.
“It will take some time to make all students aware of the change”, Barclay admitted, “but I think we’re getting there.
Ugo Okoroafor, OUSU/NUS and Returning Officer at St Hilda’s, said, “I imagine there’s always room for improvement but I think the advertising that was done was adequate”.