New medical research labs face uncertain future

Permission granted last week to develop two new medical research labs in Headington costing the university £57m is already up for review, due to the dissatisfaction of residents.

The aim of the labs is to turn the Nuffield Department of Orthopaedics, Rheumatology and Musculoskeletal Science into ‘the largest research centre in its field in the UK and probably Europe, able to translate basic science into new therapies in multiple diseases’ according to Professor Sir Marc Feldmann, head of the Kennedy Institute Of Rheumatology.

Locals are opposed to the current plans, and the planning permission has been called in for review on 30 August.

Councillor Ruth Wilkinson commented that ‘the research building is very high’, sharing concerns that it is not in keeping with local architecture.

With no new car parking planned, and 150 new staff, the fear is that staff may park in nearby residential streets and local roads may become “rat runs”.

A University traffic assessment claimed that none of the new staff will travel by car. Currently 45% of staff at the site travel by car, and the Highways Agency predicts this will remain constant.

A researcher who currently works at the site highlighted the fact that the new buildings ‘will bring together researchers, which is very important for efficient to scientific research – not to mention getting new treatments to patients for more quickly’. She also said that ‘the new design fits in well with the more modern buildings’.

One local councillor, David Rundle, agreed with resident’s concerns but maintained he is ‘in favour of the principle of building on this site’.

If the plans go ahead, the two three storey buildings will be built on the Old Road campus site, near Churchill Hospital in Headington.