Guardian recognises Oxford journalists

Oxford publications and writers have been nominated in several categories at the 2011 Guardian Student Media Awards, as the panel drew up their shortlist this week.

Cherwell itself is one of five contenders for Publication of the Year, and will go up against publications from Kingston, York and London universities. It has a history of success at the awards, having been nominated in the same category last year, and having won the award for Website of the Year in 2008.

The Oxonian Globalist, the website of Oxford’s international affairs magazine, is nominated for Website of the Year in the 2011 awards, going up against publications from Birmingham, Warwick, Southampton and Liverpool.

Individual Oxford journalists have also been recognised in the list of nominees. Lizzie Porter, who is editor of The Oxford Student for Michaelmas 2011, has been nominated for Reporter of the Year. Porter has already won the Anjool Malde Memorial Trust award for excellence in student journalism this year.

If she wins the category, it will mark the second year running that an Oxford student is named Reporter of the Year, as Camilla Turner, former editor of Cherwell, won the accolade last year.

In addition, Alex Dymoke, former joint editor of Isis, is in the running for Feature Writer of the Year, while Mehreen Khan (a History and Politics student at Trinity who writes a sports blog) and Helen Robb, a writer for Cherwell, are both contenders for Columnist of the Year.

The final winners in each category will be announced at a ceremony on 23 November.