Union entice Katie Price

Katie Price, a.k.a. Jordan, will be speaking at the Oxford Union on Wednesday of 1st week.  The decision to invite the former glamour model and television celebrity has been received with mixed emotions from Union members and Oxford students.

Price will join the ranks of distinguished individuals invited to address the Union, who in the last year alone have included Sir Michael Parkinson and Sir Ian McKellen, and have previously included the Dalai Lama, Dame Judi Dench and Baroness Thatcher.
 The Oxford Union itself defends the invitation, describing Price on the Michaelmas term card as being “everywhere”, and adding, “You can’t help but know who she is.” The society also praises her resilience, claiming she has “consistently subverted the stereotype to which the media would have her conform”.
A Union spokesperson told Cherwell that the society is particularly interested in “the journey our speaker has made from being Jordan the glamour model to becoming Katie Price the brand”.  The spokesperson pointed out that the Union “welcomes entrepreneurs and people from the world of business”, and that “in the sense that she is a brand, Katie Price is no different”.
 One Union member, however, expressed his disappointment with the booking, telling Cherwell, “I don’t understand —  in the past the Union has delivered A-grade celebrities with real credit and worth attached to them. Bringing Katie Price to talk to us is distinctly underwhelming”.
 Another member stated ironically, “I want to know how she went about writing her book”. Price has produced a series of novels and autobiographies, the first of which, Being Jordan, was nominated for Biography of the Year in 2004. The member also expressed surprise at the choice of speaker, remarking that the decision to invite the celebrity wasn’t “very Union”.
 Others plan to treat the celebrity’s address to the Union next week as a joke. A second year historian from Pembroke announced her intention to attend the speech “for a laugh”.
 The Union has in the past hosted several celebrities who have spoken on areas outside of their careers. Pamela Anderson spoke in Michaelmas 2010 about vegetarianism on behalf on PETA, the animal rights organisation.
Several Union members have speculated that Ms Price would do the same, one stating that the society had “set a precedent” in inviting Ms Anderson.
Katie Price’s past experience as a glamour model for The Sun under the name of “Jordan” has stimulated more debate. The OUSU Vice-President for Women, Yuan Yang, stated that “It will be intriguing to hear about Ms Price’s experience of the glamour modelling industry, given that the vast majority of women within it have no platform or trade union protection.”
Emily Cousens, a member of a feminist discussion group at Wadham College, denied that Price can be called a female icon. She quoted journalist Caitlin Moran,  “Women who, in a sexist world, pander to sexism to make their fortune are Vichy France with tits. Are you a 32GG, waxed to within an inch of your life and faking orgasms? Then you’re doing business with a decadent and corrupt regime. Calling that a feminist icon is like giving an arms dealer the Nobel Peace Prize.”
Nevertheless, the Union claims that Katie Price “is seen as a role model for single mothers from all walks of life”, fitting with the celebrity’s description on her website as “a strong, realistic female icon for many ordinary girls and women”.
A second year law student from Pembroke defended Price, saying, “she deserves credit for what she does. She successfully branded herself: not everyone will agree with how she makes her money but ultimately there is no denying she is a household name and a successful businesswoman, and I doubt she will stop any time soon.”
The student added, “Behind all of TV shows, makeup and hair extensions, she is still a human, and she does a great job raising her children, which people are quick to overlook”. Harriet Baker, another Union member, agreed, saying, “Regardless of how she works, she’s certainly a very astute businesswoman.”

Emily Cousens, a member of a feminist discussion group at Wadham College, denied that Price can be called a female icon, commenting,  “Women who, in a sexist world, pander to sexism to make their fortune are Vichy France with tits. Are you a 32GG, waxed to within an inch of your life and faking orgasms? Then you’re doing business with a decadent and corrupt regime. Calling that a feminist icon is like giving an arms dealer the Nobel Peace Prize.”

The student added, “Behind all of TV shows, makeup and hair extensions, she is still a human, and she does a great job raising her children, which people are quick to overlook”.

Harriet Baker, another Union member, agreed, saying, “Regardless of how she works, she’s certainly a very astute businesswoman.”