It’s snow joke

Students attending the Varsity Ski Trip received an email from the organisers this week warning them of the lack of snow at the resort.

The official website of the Val Thorens resort, which will host over 3000 Oxbridge students next week, declares that the depth of new snowfall is currently at 0cm, while on the highest slopes the snow is around 40cm thick.

The organisers of the annual ski trip explained that “the beginning of the Alpine winter has been marred by a record low rate of snowfall” but maintained that “there are now a higher proportion of runs open in Val Thorens than in any other Alpine resort, with more opening on a daily basis.”

Currently only 15 out of 76 runs are open or forecast to open. Experienced skiers were offered the option of buying an additional pass to ski in the neighbouring 3 valleys resort; however the organisers have announced that this will definitely not be open in time. Students who paid for this upgrade will be refunded after the trip. Those who purchased a standard lift pass will not have the option of a refund.  

Second year English student, Esme Hicks, commented, “It’s a shame especially as I went last year and wanted to try some of the harder slopes this year. But at the end of the day it’s not just about the skiing – it’s a chance to get away from Oxford and have fun with your friends.”

University College student Juliet Roe added, “As a novice skier a large part of me is not that bothered by the lack of snow but the part attached to my purse-strings is slightly more concerned.”