New College moves to protect its name

Oxford’s New College is applying for trademark status, ahead of the New College of the Humanities’ own bid to brand itself.

632 years since it was established, New College has moved to protect its name after the emergence of the first British private university, The New College of the Humanities (NCH), which was developed by philosopher and supernumerary fellow at St. Anne’s, A.C Grayling.

It was initially claimed that New College’s bid for trademark status was merely precautionary, as the college exists as a separate legal entity to Oxford University, which is already comprehensively trademarked. New College’s name is not unique to Oxbridge, as there are well-known New Colleges in Durham, Swindon and Nottingham.

However, with a decision upon New College Oxford’s trademark status “imminent,” it is also suspected that New College intends to contest the New College of the Humanities’ application for trademark status, when it comes to public consultation.

When asked if this was the case, a spokesperson for New College acknowledged that they would “keep a close eye on the New College of the Humanities application,” admitting that New College, Oxford “don’t want people thinking we’ve opened a London branch.”

The New College of the Humanities told Cherwell, regarding the Oxford college, that the team there “do not believe that there could be any confusion between the institutions,” as NCH is a “paid model,” and a “brand new concept in university level education offering courses in the Humanities.”

When asked if NCH could become a serious rival for Oxbridge and Russell Group Universities, Cherwell was told by the private university that, “The New College of the Humanities will at maturity have just over 1,000 students. If you compare this to the number of students and places available at the twenty Russell Group universities the size of NCH will be very different.”

A spokesperson at NCH said that the Diploma they awarded, which is an extra component in addition to the standard degree and is designed to increase the employability of its graduates, “sets students apart from other graduates and marks the greater richness of their education at the College.”

New College offered a different opinion on the matter, however, telling Cherwell that the addition of this Diploma did “not at all” pose a threat to an education at Oxford. “You can achieve the exactly the same thing from the hundreds of societies offered here at Oxford,” Cherwell was told.

New College students seem largely in favour of the college’s move to protect its name. JCR President Oscar Lee stated, “I personally feel that if seeking trademark status is the right thing to do in order to protect New College’s name, then I support the move.”

First year student Kieran Calvert commented, “Perhaps the college is worried that the New College of the Humanities may ride off their success, by subtly implying they are linked. But the main question is, will the New College tracksuits get pricier?’

Oxford students can rest assured that the university as a whole has already trademarked itself, covering products as important as charm bracelets, underwear, fat removing agents, hair lotions, coasters, pill boxes and even Christmas trees.

Xin Fan at St. Anne’s expressed the view that, “Branding is overrated. My Oxford University umbrella leaks so much that it goes all over my Oxford University cuff-links and I have to collect everything in my Oxford University tankard. In the end, I have to put it all in my Oxford University waste bin. I think I may as well stick to John Lewis.”