Club night competition heats up

Following the formation of Toby Beers Baker’s breakaway events company, Shuffle Nights, the management of Varsity Events has told Cherwell that they have placed “the matter in the hands of [their] lawyers.”

A spokesperson for Varsity Events stated “Our lawyers have written to Toby Beers Baker regarding his employment at Varsity Events Limited and his subsequent conduct particularly in relation to Shuffle nights.”
He added, “At this point in time we do not propose to comment further.” Toby Beers Baker confirmed that he had been contacted by Varsity’s legal team but declined to comment on the details of the legal dispute, remarking, “It is a private dispute between two parties, and discussing it in the press would be discourteous to Varsity Events.” 
Baker left Varsity Events over the vac stating last week that he “wasn’t happy with the way the company was going.” 
He has since set up his own company called Shuffle Nights which has taken control of popular student nights at Lava Ignite and Wahoo as well as organising two new weekly events.
Despite the ongoing legal issues, students’ clubbing patterns do not seem to be affected. The first week of club nights since the split saw most students attend the same nights as last term. Tuesday’s student night at Camera, which is still run by Varsity Events, reportedly saw 900 students through the door and, according to the management, is the maximum they can realistically process in a night.
A spokesperson for Camera stated, “We are not concerned in the slightest for our business.” Commenting on the legal disagreement, they added, “I did not think there was a split in Varsity rather than the departure of a disgruntled employee.
“We value integrity, trust, reputation and consistency and on this basis we would not consider working with the new company at Camera.”
Camera’s new Tuesday night competition, Beta House at Carbon, so far seems not to have posed a significant threat to Camera’s popularity.
Although Toby Beers Baker declared that “the night was cool and had almost 300 through the doors”, students who attended the opening night at Carbon gave Cherwell a less positive picture.
Sean Paul, a Univ second year, told Cherwell, “It was pants”, adding,“When I was there it seemed virtually empty.”
Univ fresher, Charlie Mondelli, agreed, saying, “I was riding the chunder dragon hard in Carbon and it was still average.”
However, Tom Cole, history student and Univ Shuffle Nights rep defended Baker’s events, commenting, “Britain may have been defeated at Normandy, but Fubar @ Lava Ignite will be Shuffle Nights’ D-Day landing.”
Wednesday night at Lava Ignite was indeed a more successful night for Shuffle. Sources reporting that it was “as packed as ever” while Varsity’s new alternative Wednesday night at Lola Lo attracted a maximum of 200 visitors.

A spokesperson for Varsity Events stated “Our lawyers have written to Toby Beers Baker regarding his employment at Varsity Events Limited and his subsequent conduct particularly in relation to Shuffle nights.”He added, “At this point in time we do not propose to comment further.”

Toby Beers Baker confirmed that he had been contacted by Varsity’s legal team but declined to comment on the details of the legal dispute, remarking, “It is a private dispute between two parties, and discussing it in the press would be discourteous to Varsity Events.” 

Baker left Varsity Events over the vac stating last week that he “wasn’t happy with the way the company was going.” He has since set up his own company called Shuffle Nights which has taken control of popular student nights at Lava Ignite and Wahoo as well as organising two new weekly events.

Despite the ongoing legal issues, students’ clubbing patterns do not seem to be affected. The first week of club nights since the split saw most students attend the same nights as last term.

Tuesday’s student night at Camera, which is still run by Varsity Events, reportedly saw 900 students through the door and, according to the management, is the maximum they can realistically process in a night.

Although Toby Beers Baker declared that “the night was cool and had almost 300 through the doors”, students who attended the opening night at Carbon gave Cherwell a less positive picture. Sean Paul, a Univ second year, told Cherwell, “It was pants”, adding,“When I was there it seemed virtually empty.”