Union Treasurer suggests Brookes lifetime memberships

A motion allowing students from Oxford Brookes University to get life membership at the Oxford Union has recently been proposed. Brookes students are currently only entitled to a year’s membership. 

The motion, which was considered by the Standing Committee, has been put on hold till Trinity Term. 

Toby Huelin, a first year music student, commented, “It’s a completely natural extension of allowing Brookes students to become members in the first place and as a gesture it would very welcome.” 

John Lee, treasurer of the Union, who tried to pass the motion through Standing Committee, declined to comment.

However Lauren Pringle, President of the Oxford Union, released a statement on behalf of the entire society. She stated, “The Oxford Union decided to postpone the discussion about whether to give Brookes Members life membership until Trinity term, where matters of membership are discussed in greater depth. It was felt that the form in which the proposed change was brought was incorrect, as it was agreed by all that such an important change needs to be brought before the Members for their approval.” 

She emphasised that Brookes cannot be dealt with as a unique case, adding, “It is only one of nine institutions with the same category of membership and it was agreed that we should not discuss Brookes in isolation.” 

Xin Fan, a first year History and Economics student at St Anne’s College, agreed saying, “This is a fair shout by the Union.  Affiliated universities should be considered equally.”

The Union website states, “Students at Oxford Brookes University are encouraged to join the Oxford Union for the duration of their course, and many choose to use it as their home-from-home in the centre of the City.”

Ruth Anderson, a first year doing sports and exercise science at Brookes University, commented, “At the moment the main problem is the expense. Lifetime membership would definitely encourage more students to join.”