Missing Bean opens in St Cross building

Turl Street coffee shop The Missing Bean has established an outpost in the St Cross building, home of the English and Law faculties.

Maureen O’Neill emailed Law students to inform them of the move, stating, “As an experiment, the Law Faculty Administrators have asked Missing Bean to trial sales of coffee right here in the St. Cross Building. For this first week they are seeing how it goes, seeing what word of mouth can do, and generally establishing themselves. We will actively advertise to faculty and students (with hours of business, that sort of thing) from next week.”

Reaction has been generally positive, with one first-year English student commenting, “They seem to be doing a pretty roaring trade. I’ve been procrastinating out here all day, and it hasn’t really been empty at any point.”

Laura Kennedy, another first-year, stated that she saw the move as important, saying, “As a law student harbouring a phobia of that mysterious place known to most as the law faculty, the opening of a coffee shop may actually be the spur I’ve been waiting for all year to lure me there.

Missing Bean employee Will Davies told Cherwell, “We source our own coffee and are involved in the roasting process, in every step from bean to cup.” He added, “It’s good that people on that side of town now have somewhere nearby and don’t have to go all the way into town. I know some lawyers who will enjoy our coffee.”