St Hugh’s new Principal

Dame Elish Angiolini will replace Mr Andrew Dilnot CBE as as principal of St Hugh’s College this September.

Angiolini has spent her career in the Scottish legal system, becoming the first woman to hold the positions of Solicitor General for Scotland and Lord Advocate of Scotland.

She stepped down as Lord Advocate last May and currently chairs a Commission of Inquiry investigating how female offenders are dealt with in Scotland.

Angiolini is an honourary professor at Aberdeen University, holding three honorary degrees. She was made a Dame last year in recognition of her ‘services to the administration throughout Scotland.’

She is a QC and still acts as a legal advocate on the Scottish bar.

The incoming principal revealed that she was enthusiastic to take up the position at St Hugh’s, an all female college until 1986.

She stated, ‘Founded to give an excellent education to women who were otherwise excluded from Oxford, and now providing a focus for learning and scholarship for women and men from all backgrounds, St Hugh’s College has an inspiring history and an exciting future. I am eagerly anticipating joining the College and aim both to support and celebrate its important work.’

Sara Polakova, JCR President at St Hugh’s, commented, ‘It was her friendliness, openness and down-to-earth attitude as well as progressive thinking that quickly made her our favourite candidate.

‘I am very excited about having the privilege to work with her in the future as JCR president and I am confident that her warm personality along with astonishing experience as Lord Advocate will further develop Hugh’s as a college.’

Current Principal, Mr Andrew Dilnot stated, ‘I am delighted that the College has elected such an out­standing figure as Dame Elish.

Her pioneering achievements will be an inspiration to people both within and outside the College, and I very much look forward to welcom­ing her to Oxford.”