Exeter JCR committee sing ‘Call Me Maybe’

Last Sunday evening, the members of Exeter’s JCR committee performed an a cappella version of Carly Rae Jepson’s ‘Call Me Maybe’ to a 50-strong audience.

Following a motion passed in the first week of Trinity, Exeter’s JCR committee is constitutionally required to perform Carly Rae Jepson’s “Call Me Maybe” before the start of every meeting.
The motion was proposed at the first JCR meeting of term by second year classicist Ronan Magee and passed with a resounding majority.
A friendly amendment to the motion called for Magee to be included in the proposals.
Mr Magee and members of Exeter’s JCR committee’s rendition of ‘Call Me Maybe’ at the start of Sunday’s meeting was accompanied by two randomly chosen audience members who were asked to act out the lyrics of the song. Their performance was greeted with loud cheers by audience members.
Mr Magee described the motion as ‘an important move.”
“Had it not been for the utter tunelessness of our singing, I would be urging its extension to all JCRs as a mark of respect for this seminal song,” he added.
When Mr Magee first suggested the motion, JCR President Benjamin Clayton said his first thought was, “This is crazy.”
“After all I had only just met him and he was wearing ripped jeans and his skin was showing,”  Clayton explained. “But since it was constitutional I threw a wish in the well and went on my way to sing the song.” When one JCR member attempted to leave the meeting in order to avoid singing, Clayton promptly demanded, “Where do you think you’re going baby?”
He added “The exec sang with nothing less than star quality. At the end of the night I was approached by someone from Out of The Blue, who was so impressed with my performance that he asked me to call him, maybe.’

Following a motion passed in the first week of Trinity, Exeter’s JCR committee is constitutionally required to perform the song before the start of every meeting.

He added, “Had it not been for the utter tunelessness of our singing, I would be urging its extension to all JCRs as a mark of respect for this seminal song.’

“After all I had only just met him and he was wearing ripped jeans and his skin was showing,” Clayton explained, “But since it was constitutional I threw a wish in the well and went on my way to sing the song.” When one JCR member attempted to leave the meeting in order to avoid singing, Clayton promptly demanded, “Where do you think you’re going baby?”