OUP hit out at photocopiers

OUP has sparked controversy by joining Cambridge University Press and Taylor & Francis in a lawsuit against the Rameshwari Photocopy Service at Delhi University regarding copyright infringement.
The lawsuit comes as a result of claims that the photocopying service has been duplicating and distributing OUP texts to students at a significantly lower price in an unauthorised and illegal manner.
The shop, and others like it on the North Campus, have since ceased from distributing materials following a notice from the Delhi High Court and pressure from the university. 
Although the case is directed specifically against the Rameshwari Photocopy Service, there are a number of similar establishments on campus which sell photocopies of books and book extracts at prices which students of the university can afford.
The Oxford Indian Society argues that this is the only way that some students are able to purchase materials which are essential for their courses and has urged its members to sign a petition to encourage OUP to withdraw the lawsuit to “express solidarity”.
Leading academics have also expressed concern over the issue, with Nobel Prize winner Amartya Sen among those opposed to the move.
Those whose works have been photocopied and distributed have also indicated that they are against the proposed legal action. OUP author and director of the Centre for Policy Research, a New Delhi based think tank, Dr Pratap Bhanu Mehta, called the move “self-defeating”, telling Cherwell, “Most of the students, particularly in state universities, are not very privileged, and library resources are few and far between. The effect on sales of publishers will be marginal. In fact I think publishers are being penny wise, pound foolish. By allowing access this way, they will create a long term readership for better books.”
He also said that he was unconcerned by his own books being photocopied, saying, “A volume I edited, The Oxford Companion to Politics in India, is one of the hottest items on the “photocopy” market.  And I don’t particularly mind. We are simply urging publishers to not take action against students who photocopy. And the small photocopying shops are also really small, first time migrants trying to do a nice business.”
An OUP India spokesperson stated, “OUP produces a wide range of high quality academic and educational titles and while we strive to disseminate our publishing as widely as possible, this must be carried out within the framework of copyright law.
“This particular issue relates to the  creation of coursepacks. These packs include entire chapters of books from OUP and other publishers and were sold and distributed by a photocopying outlet operating out of the Delhi School of Economics premises without seeking copyright clearance to do so.  This practice is a clear infringement of copyright law.
“Indian Institutions can obtain photocopying licenses through the Indian Reprographic Rights Organisation (IRRO) which has set tariffs for India which are among the lowest in the world. For coursepacks, the rate would be as low as Rs 0.50 (£0.06) per page.
“We would encourage institutions looking to provide coursepacks for their students to work with the IRRO. Doing so will ensure seamless, efficient, and affordable access to our titles for the student community.”

The shop, and others like it on the North Campus, have since ceased from distributing materials following a notice from the Delhi High Court and pressure from the university. Although the case is directed specifically against the Rameshwari Photocopy Service, there are a number of similar establishments on campus which sell photocopies of books and book extracts at prices which students of the university can afford.

Leading academics have also expressed concern over the issue, with Nobel Prize winner Amartya Sen among those opposed to the move. Those whose works have been photocopied and distributed have also indicated that they are against the proposed legal action.

OUP author and director of the Centre for Policy Research, a New Delhi based think tank, Dr Pratap Bhanu Mehta, called the move “self-defeating”, telling Cherwell, “Most of the students, particularly in state universities, are not very privileged, and library resources are few and far between. The effect on sales of publishers will be marginal. In fact I think publishers are being penny wise, pound foolish. By allowing access this way, they will create a long term readership for better books.”

“Indian Institutions can obtain photocopying licenses through the Indian Reprographic Rights Organisation (IRRO) which has set tariffs for India which are among the lowest in the world. For coursepacks, the rate would be as low as Rs 0.50 (£0.06) per page.“We would encourage institutions looking to provide coursepacks for their students to work with the IRRO. Doing so will ensure seamless, efficient, and affordable access to our titles for the student community.”