Wadham runs sponsored knit

Wadham College knitters have worked their way through over 3kg (30 balls) of wool in four days in a bid to raise money for breast cancer. The sponsored knit was organised by Wadham SU Women’s Officers Emilie Lambert and Hayley Cowan, and over forty students are already involved. Cowan commented, “I’ve had to go and stock up supplies of knitting needles to keep up with demand.”

Everyone who is taking part in the knit has been supplied by charities with needles and wool, but supplies are running low as students have already worked their way through 3kg of wool. Knitting classes are being run in college. Knitters are being sponsored per every length of knitting (i.e. 50p/20cm), aiming for a minimum of £20 to be raised per person, with an overall target of £600.

SU President, Jahnavi Emmanuel, commented, “I think the sponsored knit is a great idea as a way
of raising both money and awareness of breast cancer. Students have responded really well to it
with lots of people going to the group knitting sessions everyday.”

SU President, Jahnavi Emmanuel, commented, “I think the sponsored knit is a great idea as a wayof raising both money and awareness of breast cancer. Students have responded really well to itwith lots of people going to the group knitting sessions everyday.”

Both men and women are getting involved in the knit. Cowan told Cherwell, “Considering it’s an event run by Women’s Officers, I’m pleased with the number of men involved “It’s actually getting pretty competitive between knitters. I’ve knitted just under a metre (it’s been 4 days) but when my work is done for the week I’m going to up my game.’ James Fotherby, a student taking part, said, “It is actually really easy to knit and anyone can learn in under 5 minutes.”

At the end of the two weeks money from sponsors will be collected and the knitting will be used to yarnbomb a tree in college. Wadham SU Vice President, Alexander Cibulskis, commented, “I’m not sure how we plan to get the knitting off the tree, but we won’t let that unravel our plans!”

Sponsor them here.