OUSU launches ‘End Sexual Abuse’ campaign

OUSU has recently launched a campaign aimed at ending sexual abuse in Oxford. According to OUSU, the campaign aims to change a culture which "blames survivors for their attack" and to debunk "myths" about the topic, such as the idea that "wearing short skirts is asking for it."

OUSU’s campaign will attempt to organise a college-level grassroots movement to support improved harassment and abuse strategies within colleges and across the university as a whole. OUSU will also organise discussion groups to encourage open conversations about sexual consent.  

Hidden Marks, a report published by the National Union of Students in 2011, revealed that 7% of female respondents experienced rape or attempted rape during their time as a student. In particular, 500 sexual offences were reported to Oxfordshire police in 2011-2012, including 111 rapes. OUSU also emphasised the fact that most rapists are previously known to the victim, claiming that just 11% are strangers, whilst 38% are partners or ex-partners, and 51% are "acquaintances."

The campaign has been spearheaded by Suzanne Holsomback, OUSU Vice-President (Women). Holsomback has previously devised material for workshops relating to "sexual consent" and "how to combat sexual violence." Holsomback then trained 50 students to run these workshops in 30 different common rooms around the university. These workshops will continue as part of the campaign.

OUSU has also released a document, in conjunction with Oxford City Council, entitled "Love Without Chains" which provides guidelines for dealing with domestic abuse, sexual violence and harassment. The report includes a questionnaire which attempts to guide readers as to whether they are experiencing domestic abuse, tips for staying safe when "out partying", and a guide to creating safety plans for victims and their families. The report also seeks to refute several commonly-held beliefs, such as "only women can be raped."

In fact, the report states that of the 14,449 reported rapes in 2004-05, 92% of the victims were female and 8% male. Another claim the report hopes to discredit is the statement, "Women often falsely accuse men of sexual assault or rape." The report cites statistics contrary to this statement, which assert that "less than 5% of allegations of rape are false" and that rape "is a vastly underreported crime" which "less than 20% of women will report and even fewer men."

There are a number of other bodies which provide support for victims of sexual abuse at the University of Oxford, such as the Oxford Sexual Abuse and Rape Crisis Centre (OSARCC). This service provides telephone help-lines, email support and support groups. OSARCC made headlines recently when it received a £10,000 grant from the Lottery, allowing it to continue threatened services. The University of Oxford itself also provides free counselling services throughout the year.

Regarding the issue of sexual abuse or harassment, a spokesperson for the University told Cherwell, "This is a concern for all universities and workplaces and we are working with OUSU to better understand the issues and to see whether the action we are taking is appropriate. It is important to separate harassment from sexual abuse because, whilst both are extremely serious, they require different kinds of support. At Oxford, support for those affected by these issues is available through the student counselling service, the harassment line, and the range of support offered by colleges."

In 2011, the University of Oxford Counselling Service, Harassment Advisor Network, and the Student Advice Service cumulatively received 94 reports of abuse and harassment.

One student, who wished to remain anonymous, was sceptical about OUSU’s campaign, commenting, "I don’t think the campaign will have a great impact in reducing the occurrence of abuse because a lot of it is not pre-meditated. I also think that the workshops are probably pointless – it is such a private and personal matter that I feel most people will be unwilling to attend them for fear of sparking rumours."

Another anonymous student, who has experienced sexual abuse, was more positive about the campaign, saying, "Girls are essentially powerless against this ‘laddish’ culture. We fall prey to it, feeling the need to slot into the male ideal of women being someone sexy, a good laugh, ‘up for it’. Abuse and degradation are just passed off as ‘harmless banter’. I was offered counselling both within college and from the wider university, which I didn’t take but felt relieved to know that it was there for others who might need it. It’s a sad reality, which is why anything OUSU can do to raise awareness and clear up the blurry perception of ‘consent’ is hugely positive."