Uncertainty over renovations to Corpus housing

Plans to renovate Corpus Christi’s New Building may have to be put on hold, amidst doubts as to whether the building is soon to be listed.

The college had planned to renovate the first-year accommodation in the Hilary Term of next year. However, recent developments mean this may change.

Writing in an email sent to Corpus’ students, JCR President Patricia Stephenson said, “I’ve recently been informed by College that the New Building plans may have to be postponed because it might become listed. The College are in the process of finding out if that’s going to happen.”

She added, “Don’t get your hopes up, because this isn’t a confirmed decision. I want to avoid any rumours getting out about what is happening by addressing this directly, that’s why I’m telling you now.”

The plans for New Building had been causing controversy amongst some Corpus students, who felt that the renovation of the building would cause disruption next Hilary, when some of them have exams.

The news that the New Building may become listed, then, has come as a welcome surprise for some as it may result in the postponement or cancelation of the building work.

What it results in for students at the moment is a suspension of the ballot for next year’s Hilary and Trinity accommodation, which had been separated from the ballot for Michaelmas accommodation ballot because of the planned renovation.

In response to the query that the planned work on the New Building may cause disruption to students with exams, Corpus’ JCR President Patricia Stephenson and the Accommodation Officer Vicki Halsall said, “It is unfortunate that the building works are happening during our time at Corpus due to the disruption of current years, but it is a necessity which will ultimately benefit future students at Corpus, and it is nice to see how accommodating the JCR are being.”