Tommy Robinson’s Oxford Union appearance cancelled

The president of the Oxford Union, Parit Wacharasindhu, wrote an email to Robinson informing him of the decision. The email stated, “Unfortunately, as we are a student society running on a budget based on student membership, we will be unable to cover the significant security costs that would be required to host you as a speaker.”

Robinson, real name Stephen Yaxley-Lennon, responded via Twitter, saying, “Oxford union bows to threat of violence #freespeech”. Although he provided no specific details, Robinson said that he would have provided his own security but that the Union had wanted a “ring of steel”.

Despite Robinson’s response, Wacharasindhu defended the Union’s decision. He told Cherwell, “As we stated publicly in July, the Oxford Union would only be able to issue a formal invitation to Mr Robinson to address us at our debate on patriotism if security concerns were resolved.

“The Oxford Union firmly defends the basic principles of free speech and debate, but if and only if we can guarantee the safety of our members, our guest speakers and the Oxford community.”

Robinson was first approached by the Union in June, when a Tweet was sent to him by a member of the Secretary’s Committee. The Tweet read that the Oxford Union “would love to host you [Robinson] as a speaker”, to which Robinson responded, “dm me your number.”

However, the invite proved controversial at the time. Tom Rutland, the president of Oxford University Student Union, said that, “invites should never be extended to those who threaten the safety of our students and community”. He added that he was “pleased” that Robinson’s invitation had been withdrawn.

Robinson, who has been branded a “fascist” in the past, set up the EDL in 2009. The organisation protests against “radical Islam”. Marches and protests by the EDL are often met with counter-protests and have resulted in dozens of arrests. Robinson himself has been arrested on several occasions, most recently on 7 September when an EDL demonstration in Tower Hamlets attracted hundreds of anti-fascist demonstrators.

Robinson was arrested and charged with ‘not adhering to the conditions of the march and inciting others to do the same’. He is due to appear in a magistrates’ court on 22 October.