Christmas Light Festival brightens up St. Giles

The streets of Oxford were lit up by hundreds of lanterns on Friday night to mark the start  of the Christmas Light Festival.

Around 500 children from local schools carried lanterns in a procession up Cornmarket and St.Giles street to signify the beginning of the three day festival. The parade was led by a lantern displaying the face of Oxford philanthropist and car manufacturer William Morris on it. This was followed by handmade lanterns of all shapes and sizes, including a car, a plane and even a flying horse.

The festival also showcased a variety of musical and dance performances, as well as a festive christmas market and fairground attractions. There was even a makeshift grotto where children were given the opportunity to meet Santa and his real life reindeer.

Keble student, Dani Edmunds, commented that, “The fair had such an exciting Christmas atmosphere and it was the first time I’d been on chairoplanes for ages! It made me feel so festive.”

First year student, Chee Man also enjoyed the fairground, noting that, “You’re never too old for merry-go-rounds!”

Over the three days, the festival, which was co-ordinated by Oxford City Council and Ian Nolan Events, attracted thousands of people to the streets of Oxford. Many roads were temporarily closed to accommodate the festivities, including the whole of St Giles and some of Broad Street.

This was the first time the festival had taken place over three separate days and Oxford student Claire Paulus was very enthusiastic about it. She said, “I enjoyed it, as frankly who doesn’t like a carousel or chairoplanes? I would happily go again next year.”

Keble student, Christian Davidson, also explained that the festival allowed everyone in Oxford to come together. He commented that, “ It was lovely to see a full cross section of society participating, including the infant schools in the procession. As a suburbanite, it was also a rare chance to enjoy city events such as they are.”