Oxonians scoop seven New Year Honours

Six Oxford academics and the Ruskin College chairman have been named amongst the New Year’s Honours for 2014.

The six awards won by academics at Oxford University amounted to more than any other university this year, with Edinburgh in second place, having won five. Cambridge University staff won three. A total of fifty-nine honours were won by university staff and academics nationally. Most notably, Dr Noel Malcolm, a fellow at All Souls, and Professor Peter Radcliffe of Nuffield College have been knighted.

Additionally, women claimed four of the six honours won by Oxford staff, matching the national trend as, for the first time, women have claimed more than half of the 1195 honours awarded.

Two Knights Bachelors, a DBE, CBE, OBE, and MBE were awarded to University staff. An additional MBE was awarded to the chair of the governing executive of Ruskin College (an adult education institution affiliated with the University). The honours are listed below in order of seniority.

Knights Bachelor

Dr Noel Malcolm, Senior Research Fellow at All Souls College, and Fellow of the British Academy, for services to scholarship, journalism, and European history.

Professor Peter J Radcliffe at the Nuffield Department of Medicine for services to clinical medicine.

DBE (Dame Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire)

Professor Frances Kirwan, Billmeir-Septcentenary Fellow at Balliol College and Fellow of the Royal Society, for services to mathematics.

CBE (Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire)

Professor Marian Dawkins, Fellow and Tutor in Biological Sciences at Somerville College, for services to animal welfare.

OBE (Officer of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire)

Ceridwen Roberts, Senior Research Fellow at the Department of Social Policy and Intervention, for services to the social sciences.

MBE (Member of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire)

Karen Hewitt, Tutor at the Department of Continuing Education, for services to building academic and cultural understanding between the UK and Russia.

David Norman, chair of governing executive at Ruskin College, for services to adult education.