Review: Sherlock episode 3

★★☆☆☆

Two Stars

[This review contains spoilers].

After the final episode of Sherlock finished last night, I sat in silence for a few minutes, not in excited confusion over the final turn of events which has called Holmesback into action for another two series, but more in annoyance. Sherlock was, in my opinion, one of the cleverest and most original pieces of drama thought up in a long while. I loved the updates effected by Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss; the use of technology worked flawlessly and the high-pace acting of Benedict Cumberbatch made this sociopathic character irresistible.

However, last night Gatiss and Moffat missed their target completely. ‘The Last Vow’ seemed utterly absurd at times; Sherlock’s near death, only two weeks after he’d come back from the dead, was not only ridiculous, but at times verging on dull. The only thing that saved it was the terrifying depiction of mad Moriarty, tied up in a strait-jacket, needling Sherlock in near death; Andrew Scott is a fantastic actor, who can contort his face so it will haunt the dreams of children for weeks to come.

Furthermore, whilst the fast-moving plot of Sherlock is often its greatest tactic, last night’s multi-stranded plot was too far. The writers didn’t seem to develop any of their stories convincingly; there are only so many cop-outs of explanation you can make. Mary Watson’s past was left blank in an unconvincing, and frankly un-Sherlock, show of marital affection. The story of Magnussen, clearly a veiled depiction of a powerful newspaper-owning family who have been hauled through the press recently, was also a little limp at times; the end revelation of his ‘mind palace’ seemed stale. I wanted to say to Gatiss and Moffatt ‘You’ve used that before! Please think of something new!’

Another bug-bear is the nepotistic nature of ‘Sherlock’; it was quite entertaining to see Benedict Cumberbatch’s parents playing his real parents once. However, they seem to have a regular role, alongside Martin Freeman’s real life partner and Moffat’s own nephew. This really doesn’t seem to fit with the original and modern drama of the first series.

As for the final moments of the series; Moriarty is back. Again, as a friend said last night, ‘there are only so many characters you can bring back from the dead.’ Gatiss and Moffatt appear to be running out of original ideas and originality made Sherlock. It seems to me that producers should know when to end their shows, and Sherlock might just have run out of steam.