Corpus apologises for bear debacle

At a JCR meeting Sunday evening, the Corpus Charities Officer apologised for the styling of a college charities mascot. The mascot, a teddy bear known as “Swaggy-B”, has since retired.

It is understood that a number of students were concerned that the styling of the mascot was racially insensitive, after a the bear was described in an e-mail as, “some straight-up sick mofo of a bear huz sorry ass has made some mistakes, but wants ta make his mama bear proud” (sic).

The JCR rep decided of her own accord to apologise for any offence caused, despite other reps advising that it was unnecessary.

The Charities rep was unavailable for comment, but in a statement to Cherwell, Corpus JCR President Erika Pheby said, “Our Rag and Charities Rep came up with the idea of a mascot to help to support a new charity fundraising initiative by the JCR. Due to the styling of the mascot, one or two members thought that the tone could be misinterpreted and suggested that she reconsider the way the character had been developed”.

She continued, “The Rep was only too happy to do this, but wanted to go further and apologise in case she had caused any unintended offence. Although her colleagues felt this was unnecessary, she explained the situation very courteously to our meeting and I am happy with the understanding constructive way our members approached the matter – one which we now regard as closed”.

One Corpus student, who wished to remain anonymous, told Cherwell, “Like most college people, I deleted the e-mail without reading. I’m actually in two minds. I’m not sure this is racist – although it seems to invoke an ethnic stereotype, it’s not a stereotype exclusive to African-Americans, nor is it a negative one; he’s a nice bear etcetera.”

“I hope it won’t negatively impact on the good work many Corpuscles have put into access and our charitable endeavours.”