Future’s bright for Oxonians in spite of national trend

Two in five graduates nationally remain unemployed six months after leaving university, with 25% still seeking work one year after graduating.
However, Oxford graduates appear to have bucked the national trend, with only 6% not in employment or further study six months on, according to 2012 statistics.

The survey, conducted by totaljobs.com in December 2013, also found that 44% of graduates regret not studying a more vocational degree.
Totaljobs.com graduate director Mike Fetters commented, “Despite the economic upturn, graduates are still struggling to find work after university. Our research shows that many graduates are starting to wonder if they should have studied for a more vocational qualification as more effective route to employment”.

He continued, “Although a degree is an essential qualification for some industries, school leavers need to think more carefully about which route to employment is best for them as some may be more suited to an apprenticeship scheme”.

A spokesperson for the University of Oxford told Cherwell, “Figures from the end of 2012 tell us that 94% of Oxford leavers are either employed or in further study six months after graduating – and on average over the last 20 years the unemployment rate for Oxford graduates has stayed between 5% and 7%”.

The spokesperson continued, “Oxford’s Careers Service is ahead of most other university careers services offices in providing resources for students to get valuable work experience while studying, and in supporting their career goals”.

However, Oxford graduates appear less affected by the national trend favouring vocational subjects, with teaching and health & social care the most popular career destinations for Oxonians, despite the university offering few vocational courses.

Website Student Beans published a seperate survey concluding that the top priority of more than half of UK students is to find work this summer – 27% seeking summer work, and 24% looking for employment following graduation.

Commenting on the results, James Eder, Founder of Student Beans, said, “Priorities are shifting and students are looking to make the most of the time-off in the summer. The opportunity to get valuable work experience and a CV boost is there. Students now want to take action to increase their chances in the job market upon graduation and a holiday sometimes has to take a backseat. Not to mention trying to recoup a little extra spending money for the university year ahead.”

One Hertford geographer told Cherwell, “It seems nice to know that Oxonians are largely shielded from the unemployment situation, but an economic climate in which nearly half of all graduates are unable to find work cannot be healthy.

“They say you need a degree to get anywhere in life nowadays; it seems at the moment even that won’t”.

Totaljobs.com graduate director Mike Fetters concluded, “Graduates need to prepare themselves for the fact that it may take them a few months longer than they thought to find the job they want.

“Though the job hunting process can be long, graduate jobs are incredibly rewarding”.