Part of central Oxford was briefly closed this morning, after another ‘suspicious package’ was found.

Thames Valley Police police cordoned off part of Wellington Square and St John Street after fears over the package, following the bomb threat on St Giles’ last week.

But a force spokesperson told The Oxford Mail, “It was quickly established that the package posed no threat and the cordon has been lifted.”

In an email sent to Modern Languages undergraduates 8.51am, a university administrator said, “There is a suspect package opposite 47 Wellington Square, outside Rewley House.

“The police are here along with University Security Services are here.”

The email advised students with classes at 41 or 47 Wellington Square to contact their tutor. However, another email sent at 9.16am said Wellington Square was open again.

Journalism up and down the country is facing a tsunami of hurdles: from evermore repressive regimes shutting down free speech to the income sources being cut off as a result of the pandemic.

For Cherwell, maintaining editorial independence is vital. There is no shady corporation funding us and demanding we paint company X, Y or Z in a positive light; we are completely student run, and thus rely on your generosity.

So, if you can, please consider donating. We know that the pandemic has hit many of us hard - including financially - so even if you can't support us monetarily, please consider sharing articles with friends, families, colleagues - it all helps!