Oxford Radical Forum attracts record numbers

The Oxford Radical Forum was held this weekend for the seventh year, with a well-attended series of lectures, talks, workshops and film screenings hosted by Wadham College.

Speakers included Trenton Oldfield, the notorious protestor who disturbed the 2012 Oxford–Cambridge boat race, alongside literary theorist and public intellectual Terry Eagleton, who also spoke at the 2012 forum. Eagleton gave a talk entitled ‘The Death of God and the War on Terror’, in which he expanded on his criticism of the ‘New Atheism’ of Richard Dawkins. Other speakers included Vanessa Baird, editor of the New Internationalist magazine, who raised questions about the independence of electronic communication as it becomes increasingly commercialised, and Linda Bellos, an intersectional feminist, who spoke about “feminism, labour and Marxism.”

The Oxford Radical Forum describes itself as “a completely free and open annual festival of radical ideas and culture. Each year leading critics, authors and activists spark critical thought and debate about how we understand the world and struggle to change it.” It aims to address, “the meaning of current events in Egypt and Syria, the fight against sexism, racism and homophobia, radical political and labour projects… and of course the weather.”

Events were free of charge and open to the public, covering topics ranging from political economy, intersectionality, feminism, and the media, to drone warfare, arms divestment, sex work, and current events in Latin America and the Arab world. There was also a noticeable international presence throughout the weekend, with talks on Lebanon, Syria, Israel, Palestine, the Arab uprisings and Latin America taking place, many by citizens of those countries.

Social media appeared to help the Forum gain its 500 attendees, with multiple events on Facebook attracting record numbers. The event was hosted at Wadham, described by one attendee as “trusty bastion of all that is hip and happenin’ in Ox.”

Kate Guariento, one of the organisers of the event, commented, “there was an immense feeling of satisfaction at how successful this year’s forum had been.”

Xavier Cohen, another co-organiser, also praised the 2012 Radical Forum. “I was sixteen at the time and it was a formative experience for me, the beginning of my political journey. It’s great to think that two years on, from that person who sat there baffled not knowing anything about left wing theory or radical ideas at all, I’m now so involved and have learnt so much.”