Star Wars screening false alarm

Oxford University students were among hundreds of fans evacuated from a midnight showing of Star Wars: The Force Awakens at the George Street Odeon Cinema last night, following a false fire alarm.

According to witnesses, half an hour through the film there was a bang followed by a blackout, during which the fire alarm went off. Customers were evacuated outside, and although they were later allowed to return to the cinema, they were asked to go home after half an hour, during which time the screen remained blank. A broken 3D projector is believed to have caused the disruption.

Matt Sumption, a PPE student, described the atmosphere at the cinema: “Suddenly everything cut out and there was a loud noise… there was a slight smell of burning. Everyone filed out, annoyed but still good natured.” Watching the film with other members of ‘Order 66’, Oxford University’s Star Wars fan-group, Sumption had gone dressed as Han Solo; he recalled, “It was quite surreal, as I was dressed in my most dashing Han Solo outfit; there was Princess Leia and Chewbacca all outside.”

Sumption criticised the cinema’s handling of the incident, commenting to Cherwell, “’It is no exaggeration to say this was an egregious example of incompetence, similar to that of the intelligence of the Rebels Alliance with regards to the Second Death Star in The Return of the Jedi. To manage to break your only 3D projector AND send your audience home on the UK Premiere of the most anticipated film of the last 5 years – this truly was a cockup of truly galactic proportions.” He added, “Staying up, with all your friends, it’s something people were really looking forward to so this was a disaster.”

Odeon Cinemas have apologised for the disappointment caused last night; a spokeswoman for the company said, “Guests were evacuated as a safety precaution following the activation of our fire alarm system. We’re offering guests a full refund and will do everything to help them see the film as soon as possible.” Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue are treating the call as a false alarm.