Oxford academics receive Royal Honours

Five academics from Oxford have received honours in the New Years’ Honours List, with three appointed CBEs, one an MBE and one an OBE.

Christopher Bulstrode, a fellow of Green Templeton College, was made a CBE for services to humanitarian medicine. He retired in 2010 from his work as a professor ith charity Doctors of the World, for which he received the honour.

Bulstrode said of his charitable work, “It has been an honour to be invited to join the teams set up by Doctors of the World and to contribute what I can. Certainly helping those less well off than ourselves, especially when war or disaster has struck, feels like one of the most use
ful thing that we can do. I do hope this award will stand as a recognition of the work of those teams, not of an individual.”

Linda McDowell was also appointed CBE for services to geography and higher education. She is a fellow of St John’s College, where she teaches economic geography. McDowell is also a member of the college Equalities Committee and has taught across the social sciences to a range of students.

Wolfson College fellow Keith Willett, who is also director for acute care at NHS England and an orthopaedic surgeon, was appointed CBE for services to the NHS. He said that he had been “enormously privileged to build a career with so many dedicated individuals and friends who are our NHS”.

Fran Bennett, a senior research and teaching fellow at the Department of Social Policy and Intervention, is an OBE for services to social science.

Reverend Canon Brian Mountford, Chaplain of St Hilda’s, has been made an MBE for services to ecclesiastical history. He is also Vicar of the University Church, a post from which he will retire in April, and Honorary Canon of Christ Church Cathedral.