Ed Miliband pulls out of OULC talk amid antisemitism row

Following Alex Chalmers’ resignation as Co-Chair of the Oxford University Labour Club due to what he perceived as antisemitism, Ed Miliband has cancelled plans to adress OULC at its John Smith Memorial Dinner on March 4.

A spokesperson for the former Labour leader told the New Statesman, “Ed is deeply disturbed to hear of reports of anti-semitism in the Oxford University Labour Club. It is right that the executive of the club has roundly condemned the comments and fully co-operates with the Labour Students investigation. Ed and the Labour Club have agreed that his talk should be postponed until the investigation is resolved.”

Current Labour leadership has also expressed support for a probe by the national students group Labour Students into antisemitism and intimidate of Jewish students at OULC.

A spokesperson for the Labour party said, “Following recent allegations of antisemitic behaviour and intimidation at Oxford University Labour Club, Labour Students have launched an immediate investigation and the Labour party welcomes and supports this action. If complaints are made about any individual member of the Labour party, the party will take robust action to deal with any antisemitic behaviour.”

One Labour MP, Louise Ellman, said that comparing Israel and apartheid-era South Africa was “a grotesque smear and the Labour party should dissociate itself from” such statements.