Israeli embassy “appalled” by alleged OULC antisemitism

The Embassy of Israel has today released a statement condemning “antisemitism masquerading at politics”, responding to claims made against the Oxford University Labour Club a statement by Alex Chalmers announcing his resignation as Co-Chair of Oxford University Labour Club.

Issued by Chargé d’affaires Eitan Na’eh, the statement reads “The Embassy of Israel is appalled by reports of antisemitism, intimidation of Jewish students, and support for terrorism against Israel at the Oxford Labour Club. We would not expect such disgraceful activity from any morally upright person – let alone students at one of the most prestigious universities in the world. Antisemitism masquerading as politics is abhorrent. It must be recognised as such and condemned by all.”

Chalmers’ resignation and his claims against his former club have already been reported on in the Israeli press, with both Haaretz and Times of Israel picking up on the story.

Earlier today, the Oxford University Jewish Society (JSoc) issued a statement on Facebook, saying, “We are horrified at and whole-heartedly condemn anti-Semitic behaviour in all its forms. The comments detailed in JSoc’s statement last night indicate a shocking pattern of hateful and racist behaviour by some Club members, and it’s of the highest priority that this be dealt with swiftly and lastingly.

“Labour Students is launching an investigation; we will fully co-operate with this and encourage any of our members to come forward with any information that will assist the process.”

OULC has been contacted for comment.