Local teenager in critical condition after being stabbed on Cowley

Hilda's students see suspected assailants being chased by Police through their back garden

An Oxford teenager is in critical condition after being stabbed in Cowley this afternoon.

The victim was taken from James Street, where the incident occurred, to John Radcliffe Hospital and is being treated for life-threatening injuries.

The Oxford Mail is reporting that shop owners saw a body lying in the road before an ambulance came and police blocked off the area.

The suspected assailants were seen escaping through the backyard of St Hilda’s second-years Emma Whyte and Nadia Campbell-Brunton, who live on currently-closed Regents Street. Whyte, describing the incident, told Cherwell, “My friend spotted a man burst into our garden through the fence at the back so she came out running up to my room which is on the top floor. We then saw two men run across the garden into the next ones followed by one policeman”.

She went on to describe how her neighbour ran onto Denmark Street and, she believes, ran into one of the suspected assailants and slowed him down. The same neighbour saw the other man “nonchalantly walking” down Regents Street toward a parking lot on Hurst Street and told the police. Whyte was unsure if either was apprehended by the police.

Whyte described the first man as white and possibly wearing a blue jumper and the second as a black man.

Police have arrested two men in connection with the stabbing, although it is as yet unclear whether the two arrested are the same men who the Hilda’s students saw being chased by Police.

It is understood one man was arrested in Iffley Road and a second man arrested in nearby Hurst Street.