Oxford ranked world no. 1 in four subjects

QS World University Rankings place Oxford as the world's best in four subject areas—ahead of Cambridge

Oxford University has today been ranked as the number one in the world for the study of four subject areas in a new league table.

The QS World University Rankings by Subject found Oxford is the world’s leading institution for teaching, research, and employability in Anatomy and Physiology, Archaeology, English Language and Literature, and Geography.

Oxford was ranked ahead of Cambridge, which had no top spots this year, having lost its leading position in Archaeology, Mathematics, and History.

The analysis rated Oxford second in the world for History, Law, Medicine, Philosophy, Politics & International Studies, Social Policy & Administration, and Theology, Divinity & Religious Studies.

The survey, compiled by “higher education analysts” Quacquarelli Symonds (QS), ranked Oxford alongside Harvard and Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) as one of only three universities in the world to record a number one position in more than one subject. Harvard had 15 and MIT had 12.

Ben Sowter, Head of Research at QS, said: “Though the University of Oxford, like the rest of the UK’s leading universities, is receiving challenges from more places than ever before – Chinese and Russian universities advance apace this year – this year’s rankings indicate that it has risen to the challenge, continuing to provide world-class teaching, research, and career preparation in a comprehensive range of subjects”.

According to QS, their analysis was based on over 185 million citations, 43 million papers, 194,000 responses to their Employer survey, and 305,000 responses to their Academic survey.

Last year, Oxford was named the best university in the world by the Times Higher Education world rankings.

A University of Oxford spokesperson told Cherwell: “The latest QS rankings show Oxford in the very forefront of the world’s universities, both for the quality of its teaching and the excellence of its research, across the full range of academic subjects.

“This latest league table is consistent with last year’s Times Higher Education rankings, which rated Oxford as the number one university in the world.”