Tariq Ramadan loses bid for early release

The Islamic studies professor, who is detained on multiple accusations of rape, has been denied early release ahead of trial

Oxford University professor Tariq Ramadan – who has been in custody in France since early February – has lost a bid for early release ahead of his trial, according to his lawyers.

Ramadan’s lawyer, Emmanel Marsigny, called the decision “incredible” and told the AFP: “We were informed of the decision today and I immediately lodged an appeal.”

Ramadan was also denied bail on health grounds last month, despite a bid by his lawyers claiming that the 55-year-old’s health had deteriorated since being brought into custody, and that his condition was “not compatible” with imprisonment. French authorities have judged him a flight risk.

A medical report ordered by the French court in February confirmed that Ramadan suffers from multiple sclerosis. However, it concluded that Ramadan’s state of health was compatible with his continued detention, provided he received adequate medical treatment behind bars.

Ramadan is currently detained in Fleury-Mérogis prison in Essonne on multiple accusations of rape. He has been on leave from the University, where he is a professor Islamic studies, since allegations surfaced in November.

Ramadan has denied all allegations against him.

At the same time that news of his health condition emerged, a video was released in which Ramadan’s wife, Iman Ramadan, claimed that her husband “had full confidence in justice and unfortunately [had] justice wronged him.”

She said: “I’m not sure right now that he’s receiving a fair and just treatment.”