A pint costs more in Oxford pubs than anywhere else in the UK other than London, according to a new study.

The average cost across Oxford for a pint is £4.57, second only to London’s £5.19.

Carlisle was found to serve the cheapest pints, at an average price at £2.35 followed by Chelmsford at £2.60.

The study, conducted by MoneyGuru, found that Edinburgh (£4.35), Bristol (£4.32) and Winchester (£4.30) also served some of the most expensive beer in the UK.

A MoneyGuru spokesperson said: “Beer prices are a highly contentious issue in the UK with price hikes becoming more and more frequent.

“At the end of 2017, the average pint of bitter rose above £3 for the first time in history, while lager now sits at £3.58.”

The study also claimed that Dubai is the most expensive city for beer-drinkers in the world, with the average pint there setting them back £9, while at the other end of the scale, a pint costs just £1.17 in Prague.

Last January, Oxford researcher Professor Robin Dunbar claimed that there are links between spending time at the pub and happiness.

Dunbar said: “[My] study showed that frequenting a local pub can directly affect people’s social network size and how engaged they are with their local community, which in turn can affect how satisfied they feel in life”