Theresa May’s former chief of staff, Nick Timothy, has been appointed a visiting fellow of Wadham College.

Cherwell understands that some senior staff members resisted the appointment, since the College’s statutes recommend that visiting fellow positions should be given to academics.

The ex-aide was reportedly considered by a panel before being voted on by members of the College’s Governing Body, according the The Times.

One student told the paper: “Did he know our nickname was the People’s Republic of Wadham before he put in his application?”

The College is popularly treated as among the most left-wing across the University.

Nick Timothy resigned from his role as the Prime Minister’s chief political adviser after the 2017 General Election, in which the Conservatives lost their majority in the House of Commons.

This followed Tory MPs and members blaming Mr Timothy, and his fellow joint Chief of Staff Fiona Hill, for his role in the Conservatives’ loss of seats, despite a previous 20-point lead in election polls.

He has since been commissioned to write for The Sun and hired as a columnist for The Daily Telegraph.

Wadham College have been contacted for comment.