New taxi hailing app launches in Oxford

The startup's CEO wants to make taxis "more accessible and affordable"

Oxford-based startup, Eurekar, has launched a taxi hailing app that will serve the city and the surrounding area.

The app allows people to request taxis and calculates the fare before they ride.

Eurekar competitors include 001 Taxis, who describe their app as “like Uber in Oxford” , and MyTaxi which launched in Oxford this summer. Uber’s application to operate in Oxford was declared void in July 2016.

The startup’s CEO, Nahim Arif, told Cherwell: “Public transport doesn’t match the comfort and convenience of a ride booking app. Taxis can’t always offer the same affordability and transparency that an app based service can. We want to improve transport in Oxford by making our taxis more accessible and affordable for everybody.”

While there has been concern over the treatment of drivers within taxi app companies such as Uber, Eurekar has emphasised they want to protect workers’ rights.

Mr Arif said: “Fairness is at the heart of Eurekar. The company will help and support drivers with any training they need. In future we want to encourage people who need flexible working around family life, studies or even a second job to sign up and drive and will support them in getting the necessary licenses.”

The app will offer three types of car, including an MPV option for larger groups of up to eight. For up to four passengers, app users will be able to choose between a Standard and Executive option.

Eurekar will offer an airport service from Oxford to six different airports including Heathrow and Stansted.

There will also be a business package, which the company hopes will act as an “all-in-one solution” for companies.

Mr Arif said: “The app also gives businesses a dedicated platform through which they can completely manage their travel needs from booking right through to payment. Having a technology focused dedicated platform to manage their travel is something that businesses in Oxford don’t have at the moment.”

Eurekar only currently operates within Oxford, but has plans to expand further across the country.