This Saturday, the Bodleian Libraries is holding an event to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Moon landing.

The Lunar Activity Day, which will be held in Blackwell Hall, is intended to be a family-friendly event involving arts and crafts, object handling and live performances.

There will also be talks from academics on themes such as ‘The Origin of the Moon’,  ‘Art in Outer Space’, ‘Contested Meanings of Lunacy in Nineteenth Century Asylums’ and ‘The Moon is Feminist Art’.

A team of academics from the Rothermere American Institute, the Department of Physics, and the Oxford Internet Institute’s Cabinet team have created a display about the moon landings, which will be in the Proscholium of the Old Bodleian Library until 15 September.

The exhibit explores ‘humanity’s fascination with all things lunar’ through selected items from the Bodleian collections.

Dr Karen Patricia Heath, who organised the event, said: “This is going to be a fantastic interactive event for all the family, as we celebrate 50 years since the Moon landing. From meteorite handling and 3D printing to live music and talks from Oxford University experts, there will be something for everyone.”