Following a prolonged dispute, Martyn Percy has been cleared to return to his work as Dean of Christ Church. 

The tribunal, chaired by a High Court judge, dismissed the claims against him. Though details haven’t been made public, they are understood to have related Percy’s management of the college, and attempted reform of payment structures. 

A statement on the Christ Church website said: “As required by Christ Church’s Statutes, an internal tribunal was convened to consider a complaint raised against the Dean in September 2018. Following a thorough investigation, the tribunal has decided that the charges are not upheld and that there is no cause to remove the Dean as Head of House. However, the tribunal made some criticism of the Dean’s conduct and found that there was one breach of his fiduciary duty.”

“We can therefore announce that Martyn Percy will resume his duties as Dean of Christ Church, on his return from holiday on 27th August. The complaint process has now concluded.”

The Bishop of Oxford, Stephen Croft, said in a statement: “I am delighted to learn that this matter is now resolved. I look forward to seeing Martyn return to the cathedral and his duties as dean of Christ Church”. 

“This news will be widely welcomed across the Diocese of Oxford. These have been testing times for all involved, and my prayers are with Martyn and Emma, the Chapter and wider College in the coming months.”