Extinction Rebellion Oxford and the Oxford Museum of Natural history held a joint ‘Art-Science extravaganza’ yesterday to raise public awareness of the climate crisis.

The event involved the Extinction Rebellion talk ‘Heading for Extinction – and what to do about it’ as well as other talks, workshops and performance actions.

Members of the public were invited to engage with XR Oxford members, OUMNH staff, climate scientists and ecologists to learn more about the climate crisis.

A Masked Intervention was also performed by XR Youth, Student and School Strike members. Different students wore half-face masks representing endangered British species, in an act designed to ‘communicate ecological breakdown in the British countryside.’

Outside the museum, XR worked with the Sumatran Orangutan Society to stage multi-media performance actions which visitors saw as they arrived.

A variety of workshops aimed at different age groups were also on offer, including one on the events of the Oxford Citizens’ Assembly, which was launched at the Said Business school on Saturday.

Speaking to the Oxford Mail, Steve Dawe, from Extinction Rebellion Oxford, said: “We agreed together to have this arts and culture event to highlight in many different ways the issues with climate change.

“It was aimed at all different age groups, those with the knowledge about climate change and those without much knowledge on climate change, children and young adults, as well as older adults.

“It produced a considerable amount of interest.”