No support for Oxford-Cambridge expressway

In a letter to the government, the Oxfordshire County Council announced that they would not support the construction of a major road between Oxford and Cambridge.

The motion sent to the government explained that an Expressway would be environmentally harmful.

Labour councillor John Sanders said the planned Expressway “flies in the face of Oxfordshire’s commitment to reduce the use of the car.”

The need to reduce car use to tackle the climate emergency was a key factor in the decision.

The council said it would still sup- port plans to boost jobs, housing and infrastructure in the county, namely through the Oxford to Cambridge Arc and England’s Economic Heart- land.

Bob Johnston, a Lib Dem councillor, said the council should reject the project because of its aim to become carbon neutral. The project would have a “huge carbon footprint” regardless of the chosen route.

This move follows on from the council’s commitment to place the climate crisis at the heart of all their decisions.

The motion explained that the rejection of an Expressway was also on the understanding that work on the East West Rail Link would be sped up.

It said: “The development of the railway line will ensure the delivery of the growth and housing required, without the environmental impact of a road cutting across the centre of rural England.”

A planned route for the expressway was to be published before the end of this year, but the general election has delayed it.