Dinah Rose QC appointed as new Magdalen president

Dinah Rose QC has been appointed the new President of Magdalen College. She will succeed Professor Sir David Clary FRS in September 2020.

She will be the first woman to hold this position, and the 43rd President of Magdalen College since its foundation in 1458.

Dinah Rose is a barrister and member of Blackstone Chambers. She has been involved in many of the leading cases in public law, human rights, employment law, and competition law.

Rose studied Modern History at Magdalen College, graduating in 1987. She was called to the bar in 1989 and appointed as Queen’s Counsel in 2006.

She was named Barrister of the Year in The Lawyer Awards 2009 and was appointed a Deputy Judge of the High Court in 2016. Rose has represented Julian Assange in front of the supreme court, and Rupert Murdoch’s News International in phone hacking trials.

Dinah Rose said in a statement from Magdalen College: “It is a great pleasure and privilege to be returning to Magdalen, where I spent three happy and unforgettable years as a student. I look forward to fostering a diverse and welcoming community of scholars, where lively debate, and mutual respect and support encourage our students to fulfil their enormous potential, personally as well as academically. Magdalen has in recent years made very substantial progress in broadening access to the unmatched opportunities which it offers. I am determined to do all in my power to ensure that Magdalen is as accessible and inclusive as it is exceptional.”

Magdalen College said: “Magdalen College is delighted to announce the appointment of Dinah Rose QC as its next President. She will take up office in September 2020 as successor to Professor Sir David Clary FRS, who will have completed 15 years of distinguished service as President of the College.”