Prince Charles visits Oxford

The Prince of Wales visited Oxford on Thursday.

Prince Charles first met students, staff and fellows at Jesus College to mark the appointment of the new Jesus Chair of Celtic and to learn about new student initiatives in Wales.

Jesus College is known as the “Welsh” college and they maintain strong links with Wales.

Jesus has a Welsh Access Programme which aims to encourage people in underserved communities across the country to encourage them to think about applying to Oxford.

The Prince of Wales met with Jesus College alumnus, Oliver Thomas, who has donated £1m to support the Welsh Access Summer School.

The Summer School is a collaboration with the Welsh government’s Seren Network and enables sixth formers in Welsh state schools to experience life at the University of Oxford in order to encourage more applications.

His Royal Highness then met a group of alumni, including the newly-appointed Jesus Chair of Celtic Dr David Willis, and enjoyed a recital of the Gweddi Coleg Iesu, a Welsh Prayer sung by members of the student consort choir directed by Peter Parshall, Chapel Music Coordinator. He viewed the Red Book of Hergest, a compilation of chronicles, mythology, romances and court poetry written in Welsh.

College Librarian Owen McK- night, said: “The Red Book of Hergest was written shortly after 1382 and is one of the most important medieval manuscripts written in the Welsh language. The Prince was shown a page that details the herbal remedies of the legendary Physicians of Myddfai.”

Principal Nigel Shadbolt said: “It is a huge privilege to welcome back His Royal Highness to Jesus College to join us in marking the appointment of our new Chair of Celtic and our schools access programmes in Wales. His support for Wales and the people of Wales reflects our own passion for creating a College community that celebrates Welsh culture through its research, activities and people. We also share his values around sustainability and the environment, which echo the views and concerns of our Fellows and students.”

After his visit, the Prince of Wales visited Kellogg College to receive the Bynum Tudor Fellowship. The Prince of Wales will be the Bynum Tudor Fellow for the 2019- 2020 academic year, during which the college will celebrate its 30th anniversary.

Established in 2004, past fellows include Archbishop Desmond Tutu and Executive Director of the UN Entity for Gender Equality.

The Prince of Wales, when accepting the award, said: “It gives me great pride and pleasure to accept the Bynum Tudor Fellowship this year, and I would like to express my particular gratitude to Kellogg College in presenting me with this significant honour.”

Prince Charles graduated from the University of Cambridge with a BA in 1970 and an MA in 1975. Among his 16 honorary degrees, he received an honorary Doctor of Laws from Oxford University in 1983.