Oxford city will move into Tier 2 on Saturday 31st October. Tier 2 restrictions introduce the following new measures:

• People cannot meet “socially” with anybody outside their household or support bubble indoors, including at home or in public places such as restaurants and bars. 
  • People should try to reduce the number of journeys they are making, and if they need to travel should avoid public transport where possible. 

There were 202 cases in Oxford between 18th-24th October. This represents a 20 case increase on the previous week, according to the BBC.

Oxford has 132 cases per 100,000, which is below the average area in England.  However, this figure does not include some positive cases registered at the University.

The most recent data from the Oxford University Early Alert Service reported there had been 288 positive tests since August 20th, 2020 with a tripling of cases in Freshers Week. Since the week of 17th – 23rd of October, the number of new cases has escalated to 208 positive tests, for a total of 496 positive tests since the August start date.

Earlier this week, it was reported that a motion to move the city into Tier 2 by Oxfordshire City Council was rejected at a national level. 

The rest of Oxfordshire will remain in Tier 1. 

This is a breaking news story which will be updated as more information is released.