The Thames Valley Air Ambulance crew have been helping with the COVID-19 vaccine rollout across the Oxford community.

The charity delivered advanced medical care to 1497 patients across the Thames Valley and beyond last year. The staff at the air ambulance service have received their own injections and have been volunteering at vaccination centres to help deliver the jabs to patients alongside assisting in non-clinical roles. They are encouraging people to take up the offer of a vaccine when it is made available. 

Simon Wetenhall, Senior Critical Care Paramedic at Thames Valley Air Ambulance, told the Oxford Mail: “After such a tough year, the amazing progress of the UK’s Covid vaccination rollout has been a shot of good news amongst the gloom. That’s why, when I saw the opportunity to become a volunteer vaccinator in my local community, I jumped at the chance to help in the fight against Covid. 

“For some people, the trip to get vaccinated may be the first time they have left their home in months. When people arrive for their vaccination, they tell you how much it means to them. For many, it is a sign that they might be able to see their children or grandchildren again soon. It is a light at the end of the tunnel.”

Image: Allen Watkin / London Air Ambulance Explorer.