Marquee set up in University Parks

As the sunshine hits, Flora Dyson reports on the new marquee in University Parks.

The University of Oxford announced that a purpose-built marquee has been set up in University Parks to safely host outdoor events this term and into the Long Vacation.

The marquee is open and free to book for students and departments. It can be booked for social events through their department or division via Estates Services. It will be available until early July. 

The marquee has capacity for 30 students, in line with government guidance. It will be open-sided and accessible, with toilets nearby. Student event organisers may bring their own food and drink or pay to have it provided by the University catering company.

The marquee plans are the latest part of the Love Oxford campaign delivered in partnership with Oxford SU and the University. Love Oxford provides a hub for events organised across the collegiate University including by students, as well as in the community.

Ben Farmer, VP Charities and Community at Oxford SU said: “Throughout our planning for this year we’ve highlighted the importance of spaces for students to run events and socialise and we’re pleased the University have recognised this in providing the marquee. We’d like to thank staff across the University especially in Estates Services for helping to make it all happen.

“We know student clubs and societies have had a tough time over the past year and we’re committed to working with the collegiate University to ensure student-led groups get the support they need. We’ll continue to represent students on these issues on key committees like the Student Experience group to ensure students get the best possible support.”

Dr Jane Sherwood, Chair of the Student Experience Group and Director of the University Language Centre said: “The Student Experience Group, Parks, Estates, and the Van Houten Fund are delighted to offer a serviced Marquee in the Parks for departments to use this term. It’s one of a range of initiatives, such as Love Oxford, which the Student Experience Group is supporting to help strengthen student communities after this disjointed pandemic year.”

Image Credit: Ed Webster / CC BY 2.0