In emails sent to students and staff earlier today, the University confirmed that in-person teaching will resume from 6 September, bringing the University’s restrictions in line with Step 4 of the UK Roadmap.

Face coverings will not be mandatory and social distancing will no longer be required. However, the University announced that face coverings will be required during larger group teaching, unless exemptions apply. 

The University said its expectation is that “everyone who can will transition to returning to their offices and labs, so that by the beginning of Michaelmas term we will be fully prepared for the next academic year”. They added that the easing of restrictions will “facilitate a return to business as usual”.

The email also stated that University departments will confirm further details on guidance and other timescales in due course. 

Regular symptom-free testing and vaccination will continue to be encouraged for the University’s staff and students. Vaccinations will not be made mandatory for staff or students. Members of the University will also be required to follow the latest government self-isolation rules.

Students and staff returning from red-listed countries and who are unable to travel to Oxford for the start of Michaelmas will qualify for exemption from residency requirements. The email stated that the University and colleges “will not routinely meet the quarantine costs for students returning from red list countries”. If students are arriving from an amber-listed country, they will have to quarantine for 10 days on arrival to the UK, unless they are fully vaccinated, and will have to arrive in Oxford in time to complete quarantine before courses start.

Image credit: Billy Wilson / CC BY-NC 2.0 via flickr