BREAKING: Michael-Akolade Ayodeji elected SU President 2022-23

Jill Cushen and Charlie Hancock report.

Michael-Akolade Ayodeji has been elected as the President of the Oxford Student Union for the 2022-23 academic year. 

3704 people turned out to cast 29049 votes, a 32% increase over the last election for president, where 2506 voted. A plurality of voters came from Jesus College, whose JCR won £300 in pizza vouchers. 

The leadership contest also had relatively low numbers of candidates standing, with only five students running for the spot, compared with eleven last year. 

In the Cherwell Town Hall profile published on Monday, we described him as “no ordinary student”. He told Cherwell: “‘I live for being busy. That’s why I do photography, American football, the SU, the Union. I have to do things’.”

In his manifesto, Michael stated he is committed to combating SU apathy, working on holistic access and improving the student experience. He said that he aimed “to ensure that there are not just opportunities but also sufficient support for people from all walks of life to excel”. He also stated: “I am not afraid to speak up when necessary.”

Michael’s experience includes President Elect for the Oxford Union for Trinity term 2022, former Member of the West Midlands YCA, former JCR DisRep, Access & Equal Opportunities Officer, and member of Class Act and Disability Campaigns. 

Speaking after the results were announced, Michael said he was “incredibly honoured and privileged” to be elected SU President and described the campaign process as a “valuable learning experience”. 

Other students elected to positions include:

Vice President Access and Academic Affairs: Jade Calder

Vice President Charities and Community: Anna-Tima Jashapara

Vice President Graduates: Shreya Dua

Vice President Welfare and Equal Opportunities: Grace Olusola

Vice President Women: Ellie Greaves

Student Trustees: Uri Sharell, Serene Singh, and Daniele Cotton.

NUS Delegates: Aditi Premkumar, Anas Dayeh, Ciaron Tobin, Alexander Nowak, Sarah Akintunde, Mundhar Ba-Shammakh, and Serene Singh.

Oxford Pride and Oxford Poverty Action Trust have been voted as the SU’s local Raise and Give (RAG) charity, with Amnesty International and Donate for Refugees being voted RAG international charities.

Image Credit: Cyril Malik